Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sonoma trek 2010

My most recent trip to Sonoma/Napa Counties for two weeks in February represented my longest time away from the region since I started visiting in 1986. February 2010 was preceded by August 2007.. Other than that break - I've visited at least every other year - and sometimes more than once a year. A great deal has changed since 2007 - that was clear.

I have some favorite spots in Sonoma and Napa Counties I like to visit - particularly my wine club sites. This visit though - since I had almost 2 weeks to explore wineries - I wanted to concentrate on small producers and winemakers I hadnt visited before.

My first winery visit, literally less than 2 hours after my flight arrived was Kastania Vineyards outside of Petaluma - conveniently located a few hundred yards off of Highway 101 in Sonoma County.

Kastania was the meeting point where I would be greeted by my brother and sister in law - and the winery was completely appropriate. Friendly, simple yet beautiful. They pride themselves on their pinot noirs and rightfully so.

Kastania Vineyards was also an appropriate starting point in my exploration of small production Sonoma wineries - the focus of my wine exploration.

Next - day one, Carneros

No comments:

Post a Comment